SimGen is an EDIF/VHDL/FPGA to ASIC Conversion Utility and Simulation Generator
for Tanner Tools EDA.
- saves thousands of dollars when converting an FPGA to an ASIC
- enables VHDL simulation based on final chip layout
- improves routine operations (specifying pads/pin outs, setting up GateSim and Spice runs, etc.)
1. Generates (extracts) VHDL files from chip layout to support verification in VHDL design flows
2. Automatically generates simulation files (.sim & .vec) for GateSim
3. Supports import of VHDL/EDIF into the complete Tanner environment (GateSim, SEdit, LEdit, LVS) by way of Nettran using .mac files
4. Cleans up and repairs netlists (mac, tpr and spice files) so they work as expected when going from one tool to another
5. Provides a Windows control shell
---> soon to come: automatic "standard block" construction to support hierarchical auto-routing!
Includes 4 complete examples of VHDL/FPGA
conversions with cell library mapping and full
1 - Xilinx XC4000 design done in VHDL using OrCAD Express 7.2
2 - Altera 7000 design done in VHDL using MAX-3
3 - Altera 7000 design done in VHDL using OrCAD Express 7.2
4 - Generic design done in VHDL using OrCAD Express R9/Exemplar
SimGen 2.8 w/OrCad7.2 SimGen2.9 w/OrCadR9-Exemplar
sample difference in ASIC core sizes for 4-bit counter sample project
ASIC Conversion & Verification Illustration:
your VHDL design...
ASIC layout core
VHDL extracted from layout for verification
entity count is
architecture count_a of count is
entity count is port (
architecture count_1 of count is
| Use the same test bench before & after
routing and compare results!
||Super easy pad/pin setup...
<1 PADOUT PAD_R2 VALUE2
You can download a 30-day evaluation copy. This is a short .zip file. Unzip to a temporary directory and run install.exe. It is designed for you to keep all your project files in a project directory, and manages the NetTran interface to make this happen. Win'95 is the preferred target OS. SimGen is not listed on the order page. Contact MediaComm to order a registered copy.
Tanner Tools Website OrCad Website